Thursday, November 22, 2007

Reflection Paper #2

William Sullivan
ED 355
Dr. Jaqui Cyrus
Lesson #2 Reflection
This lesson again presented a great many difficulties for me. I don’t like having to create multimedia projects because I don’t feel that I am able to create product that is enjoyable or passable. But one has to do what on has to do.
The NETS*T standard that best applies to the lesson that I created was III.C: apply technology to develop students' higher order skills and creativity (http://cnets.iste.org/teachers/t_stands.html). The act of creating a Google Group helps the students learn how to navigate technology and develop an understanding of the various kinds of technology available to them over the internet, for free in fact. Also having the students use Audacity shows them that multimedia is not tied to the computer but that it can be used in many different environments.
In relation to Lesson Plan #1, the biggest difference was that this was an individual effort. I wasn’t able to lean on any of my classmates for any assistance, but at the same time I wasn’t held back by any of my classmates opinions or interests either. If the project worked, it would be because of what I did, and if it failed it would be because of me and me alone. I could not hide behind anyone or blame anyone either.
I am not sure exactly how I would make this lesson plan more challenging other than making the posting of a video recording of the students’ relatives telling their respective folktales a mandatory part of the lesson. The fact the students needed to step outside of their comfort is stressful and painful enough. It is necessary to expose students to different ideas.
In regards to what I liked best about this assignment, I enjoyed using an all-audio tool, Audacity. This is new to me and very interesting. I also like how the students have to not only work in groups, but how they must put in their own individual input. What I disliked the most about this assignment was how the students were not necessarily given an adequate amount of time to complete their assignments. If I could complete this assignment all over again I would have them take longer to present their findings to the class.

Works Cited
NETS*T Standards. Education Technology Standards and Performance Indicators for All Teachers. Retrieved November 17, 2007 from National Educational Technology Standards for Teachers.

1 comment:

Jacqui Cyrus said...

Hi:
One way that you could make this lesson plan more challenging could be to integrate personal photos and resources from the Internet.